According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, every year at least 40,000 house fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Many of these deaths and much of the property damage resulting from these fires could have been prevented if arc fault protective devices were used in the home. These AFCI receptacles continuously monitor a circuit for unsafe electrical abnormalities which can cause a house fire. When the device detects an arc, the AFCI discontinues the flow of electricity through the circuit. If you need AFCI receptacles installed in your Minneapolis or Saint Paul, MN home, call Edison Electric, Inc. When you schedule an appointment with us we will provide upfront pricing so there are no surprises later.
Do you need GFCI outlets installed in your home? Contact us to learn about our GFCI receptacle services.
What Causes an Arc?
An arc is a hot spark that occurs when an electrical circuit is having difficulty making an electrical connection. Some common issues that can cause an arc include:
- Loose connections on an outlet or switch.
- Malfunctioning appliances.
- Cracked, frayed or damaged insulation on electrical cords.
- Electrical wire insulation pinched inside a fan or light fixture.
- Wrecked insulation caused by rodents
- Damaged insulation from sheetrock screws or nails.
- Moisture on electrical connections.
- Old wiring with questionable insulation.
Are your appliances causing your circuit breaker to trip? Learn about our appliance circuit services.
What Rooms Need AFCI Outlets?
AFCI outlets are required in most areas of your home. Some of these rooms include:
- Family room
- Dining room
- Living room
- Recreation rooms
- Laundry areas
Rooms that don’t need AFCI outlets can include garages, unfinished basements, and bathrooms.