Electric vehicles can be great for your wallet and the environment. However, keeping your EV running can be inconvenient as you try to locate a charging station. Installing an electric vehicle charging station in your home can let you charge your vehicle whenever you’d like instead of having to locate a charging station. Call Edison Electric, Inc. for installation services in Minneapolis, MN. When you schedule an appointment with us, we will provide upfront pricing.
Don’t risk your family’s health by having a faulty carbon monoxide detector in your home. Call us to learn about our smoke and carbon monoxide detector services.
Benefits of Installing an EV Charging Station in Your Home
When you buy an electric vehicle you may be more focused on the environmental and financial benefits instead of thinking of practical issues - like where to charge it. To make charging your EV easier, consider installing an electric vehicle charging station at your home. Some of the advantages can include:
- A fast and safe charging station.
- A charging station that’s available to you any time of day.
- A cheap solution to power your vehicle, as it can cost just pennies a day to charge your EV at home.
Equipment Needed to Charge Electric Vehicles at Home
Installing an electric charging station at your home will likely require you to choose between a Level 1 electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) or Level 2 EVSE. An electrician can help you determine which equipment is best for your property and your vehicle.
- Level 1 EVSE: This option does not require any special equipment - just an outlet to plug into and a dedicated branch circuit. Level 1 EVSE is ideal for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and EVs. Every hour of charging time will add another 2 to 5 miles of range to the vehicle.
- Level 2 EVSE: This can add longer range to vehicles than the Level 1 EVSE, providing 10 to 60 miles of range for each hour of charging time. However, this option does require more equipment to install. This charges through a 240 V AC plug, and needs a dedicated electrical circuit of 20 to 100 amps. Work with an electrician to ensure the work is done correctly, as well as make sure you are meeting all local requirements and obtaining any necessary permits.
Control the lighting in your home by installing dimmer lighting. Call us to learn about our services.
Save Money by Charging EVs at Home
According to Energy.gov, drivers of electric vehicles do more than 80 percent of their charging at home. This is mainly due to the convenience of having a dedicated charging station at your house, and the cost-effectiveness. The organization states that charging at home allows drivers to take advantage of low residential electricity rates, whereas charging away from home can result in fees and wait times.